Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Happy First Day of School!

Hi there!
I know, you thought (hoped) I was never going to post again, right?
HA!
Gotcha!

It was a long and wonderful summer filled with lazy days and a lot of laughter!




But of course, 
time marches on and here we are-
Back 2 School!

For Team Hertogh, 
today is the first day of school for the 2013-2014 school year.
Here are my 3 Blessings!


Just yesterday they were like this...
well, more than one day- many years!
(wipe tear)

Most of the population begins the New Year on January 1st,
but for me,
after 11 years of teaching, 
(that does not include 2 years of being a Teacher's Aide, 1 year of Student Teaching
and 7 years of Substitute teaching)
MY year always begins NOW!

I set goals for the year,
think about what the kids are going to learn and accomplish this year,
and prayerfully consider what Jesus wants me to pursue,
focus on and walk towards.

It doesn't always turn out the way I planned-
in fact, it usually doesn't,
so I lay expectations down and surrender what I think so I can hear what He thinks.

ONE thing we can do for our children EVERYday is to pray for them
each child-specifically.
(their friendships, academics, self-talk, covering for protection of what they hear,
who they let into their lives, mental and spiritual protection)

If it sounds overwhelming- 
yet as a parent,
our children are our FIRST ministry from God.

And whether your children are babies or adults,
you can and should feel privileged to continue praying for them.

As I pray for them today, I am also praying for their futures-
their jobs, ministry, relationships 
and
thanking God in advance for all that He IS doing and WILL be doing.

My prayer for YOU today-
that you would spend MORE time with God this year-
in HIS word,
sitting with HIM,
chatting or going deep with HIM,
and listening to HIM,
and for Pete's sake,

SLOW the heck down!!

This devotional from HomeWord was really good about slowing down-
also,
Doug Fields, one of my favorite Teachers/Speakers
wrote another good one regarding families Here

We move too fast and focus on so many things that will not be important in 
5, 10 or 20 years.

One thing I know for sure-
OUR children are out there-
and without prayer,
there is no protection or covering.

Can bad things still happen?
Absolutely,
but I know our prayers are heard by God.





Not sure where to start? Here are a few ideas:

1. Journal your prayers to God (as if writing Him a letter)
2. Go through one of the books of the Bible (Psalms, Proverbs)
*read a sentence or paragraph and ask yourself what God is trying to say to you*
3. Purchase a Devotional such as Jesus Calling- read and write out your reflection or pray,
Stormie Omartian also has many great books on praying for your family. 
4. With all this technology- you can Google "prayer" to find blogs discussing prayer
5.Ask someone in your church for some help in this area ( an older attender or friend)
6. Use the Acronym, "ACTS" to get started.
(A-Acknowledge God for who He is
C-Confession of our sin
T-Thanksgiving for all He is doing and has done and will do
S-Supplication- where we come humbly to HIm with all of our requests through prayer
6.You can also find a local prayer group like Moms In Prayer,
 (used to be called Moms In Touch)
or start your own!
7. Allocate time EVERY day to pray -priorities are put in the calendar!
(something is ALWAYS better than nothing! Start with 5-10 min)
8. Don't guilt yourself into doing it- this is precious time spent with Jesus,
I look forward to being filled and fed by His Spirit,
but it was not always like this, do it and you will see fruit!


Though we will go through difficult and challenging times,
knowing that there is a purpose and opportunity for growth during those times and knowing that
We have God covering us, Jesus beside us 
and the Holy Spirit within us,
gives us an assurance and a peace that we cannot explain.


Dear Lord,
THANK YOU for this beautiful day!
Thank you, 
that I can come to you with all of my concerns, wishes and worries
and ask that you carry them for me!
I ask Lord, 
that you would do the same for my friend reading this today-
that my friend would be filled by a peace that surpasses all understanding.

Phil 4:6-7
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I pray that my friend would have a JOY that only YOU can give through your Spirit!
I pray that this school year would be incredible for our children,
knowing that YOU have their lives and futures under control!

I also pray that this year would be a year that we all grow closer to you-
that we would lean into you for ALL of our needs-
physical, emotional, relational and spiritual
because you, Father,
are the Provider of all.

I love you Lord, and the friend reading this.
Please bless my friend and bless all who pass through this post!

Remember,
it's NEVER TOO LATE to start praying for your children,
to start all over, 
or
to try something new!

Do you pray?
If so, how do you pray?
What is your process?
PLEASE share!!

HOW can I pray for you?


Love & Blessings-

2 comments:

  1. Well, look at who's here in Blog Land for a visit!! :-)
    So glad to hear from you!

    Gosh, your kiddos are getting so big! I just know that this is going to be an exciting year for all of you. I look forward to seeing all the wonderful things that God teaches each one of you. Most of *life-learning* happens outside of the classroom, doesn't it?!

    And YES! I pray...a lot. For my kids, for sure. But for everything other thing that affects my life, and the lives of the people I care about. Praying is a comfort, a privilege, and a terrific offensive weapon against the enemy. Do it often!!

    How can you pray for me? The situation with my parents continues to deteriorate. And so, pray for them and for me as I deal with elderly people who have become like children. Thanks.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am visiting christian web sites today and decided to stop by! I am grateful to have read your post today! I love the simple ideas you give on how to pray for our children and for ourselves. I am excited to see you grow and encourage other woman. Especially when it takes a lot of courage to do, even against the opinions of others:) Yes, this year I'm looking forward to slowing down in the right way and finding more time to God's word and his guidance. As I embark on my own journey of writing. May you continue to inspire others to Christ. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I LOVE happy, healthy, sparkly comments!